Monday, March 8, 2010

Seguku Prison Ministry




In 2007, I went to Uganda, Africa for 3 weeks. It was quite the experience and I'm ready to go again next month. But one important thing that I experienced was going to a Ugandan prison. I or the team was definately not in the mood to be there. It was at the end of our 3 week trek. We were sitting on benches and stumps in a urine and ant infested area of the prison grounds. We had just finished singing our songs and others were preaching the gospel. But my mind was definately elsewhere. I'm embarrassed to say that I came up with what I thought was a wonderful idea, play hangman with my bench neighbor. I was the only game I could think of that didn't have much talking besides tic-tac-toe. Well we didn't get past the first letter before someone turned around and scolded us. Later, I realized that it probably wasn't a good idea to play that game in an institution, but at the time it seemed like a great idea.
Since that day, I have a whole new outlook on prison ministry and how important it is. I have joined my husband in a prison ministry here in my hometown.
I'm sure that if I get a chance to go back to a prison while I'm in Uganda, I'll be a better participant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you must have done your Uganda trip. How did it go?
I was in a prison in a remote part of Paraguay, while on a short missions trip in 1996. pretty amazing

Michelle said...

Hey, I just saw your comment. Don't quite have this blog thing down. This post is from the mission in 2007. The short time that I was at this prison opened my eyes on why prison ministry is so valuable. I'll have to post something about this last mission from May 2010.